Mold Q&A


Are you certified in re-mediating mold?

Yes, we are certified by the IICRC.

What does the IICRC stand for?

Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, Restoration Industries.

What are signs of mold?

A mold problem can usually be seen or smelled. Mold growth may often appear as slightly furry, discolored, or slimy patches that increase in size as they grow. Molds also produce a musty odor that may be the first indication of a problem. The best way to find mold is to examine areas for visible signs of mold growth, water staining, or follow your nose to the source of the odor. If you can see or smell mold, you can assume you have a mold problem. Other clues include excess moisture and water damage. It may be necessary to look behind and underneath surfaces, such as carpets, wallpaper, cabinets, and walls. There are some areas of the home that are always susceptible to mold growth and should be part of routine cleaning to keep them under control. These areas are:

  • Underneath leaking fixtures such as sinks, baths, and hoses.
  • The seal on the refrigerator door
  • Shower curtains
  • Window moldings
  • Shower stalls and bathroom tiles
  • Surfaces on and around air conditioners

What are common indoor sources of moisture that may lead to mold?

Flooding, Leaky roof, Plumbing Leaks, Overflow from sinks or sewers, Steam from Showers or Cooking, Humidifiers, and damp and dark spaces.

What are some of the common indoor molds?

  • Cladosporium
  • Penicillium
  • Alternaria
  • Aspergillus

Are some molds more harmful than others?

Any extensive indoor mold growth should be treated as a potential health concern and removed as soon as practical no matter what species of mold is present. It is necessary to identify and correct the source of moisture so that mold will not grow back.

How does mold affect health?

Mold can produce potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins) that effect health. The health effects consistently associated with indoor dampness and molds include:

  • Allergic rhinitis (runny nose)
  • Upper respiratory symptoms, such as stuffy or congested nose or sinuses, sore throat, or irritated nose or throat
  • Headaches
  • Memory Loss and Lack of Concentration
  • Chronic Fatigue
  • Multiple Nose Bleeds
  • Diarrhea, Nausea, and Vomiting
  • Lung Bleeding
  • Respiratory problems such as Coughing, Wheezing, and Difficulty Breathing
  • Allergies symptoms such as Eye & Nose Irritation, Sore Throat, Skin Rashes, ETC.

What health concerns from long-term exposure could mold cause?

  • Major Allergy Attacks
  • Chronic Cough
  • Acute Bronchitis
  • Asthma related illness
  • Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
  • Eczema and other skin rashes